Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Sage Butter

I've never made gnocchi, but I love squash and I love dumplings so I'm hoping this is delicious.

Ingredients:
8 C Roasted and pureed butternut squash
Approx. 5 C all purpose flour (Honestly, I lost count. I added flour until the dough was sticky)

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently and briefly. Cut dough into smaller sections. Roll dough into 1/2 inch thick ropes and cut crosswise into 3/4 inch pieces. Transfer gnocchi to lightly floured baking sheets. Let dry for up to two hours. Freezes for one month.

To cook:
Cook gnocchi in two or three batches in a large pot of salted, boiling water. Stir occasionally, for two to three minutes, or until they float to the surface of the water. Remove gnocchi from pot and set aside while you make the sage butter sauce.

Sage Butter Sauce (enough for one family):
1 stick of butter
2 Tbsp chopped fresh sage

Cook butter over medium heat until just golden, stirring often. Add sage. Add gnocchi and cook until heated through and coated with butter. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with 1/4 C Parmesan.

Recipes were adapted from Bon appetit and a blog called Hungry Cravings.

*I cooked these by breaking them apart in the freezer bag and dumping them into boiling water. They looked gummy in the water, but it didn't last long.

2 comments:

  1. They were delicious. Feel free to fill my freezer with squash pasta anytime, though I guess now I'd have to send my own flour along so I could actually eat them.

    ReplyDelete