Sorry so late with this post! When I made my enchilada sauce at Abby's, I did not use chicken stock as I was out. I also forgot to take pork lard. I would highly recommend using both as it really does give the sauce an extra umph!! As soon as I'm done with making the enchilada's I'll post that as well.
Salsa Roja Para Enchiladas - Red Enchilada Sauce
Makes enough sauce for 12 enchilada's
- 3 whole tomatoes (preserved) diced, or 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed or smashed
- 2 dried guajillo chile's, stem and seeds removed
- 1 large dried ancho chile, stem and seeds removed
- 1/2 tbls dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbls farm fresh pork lard
- Celtic Sea Salt to taste
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven add all ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the chile's have reconstituted.
- Blend all ingredients in a blender.
Next up - Enchilada's Roja!